Sunday, February 22, 2015

Update on the Barn Door and thoughts on Remodeling shows.

Today I was looking on Houzz and started to notice the wood behind the rail!  Guess that is just one of the steps they always leave out on the remodeling magic shows. 


Like how this one has blocks at the ends of the rail

Speaking of remodeling magic shows.  Last night I was watching The Suze Orman Show and someone wanted to spend $10 to 15k on a kitchen AND bath remodel.  Suze asked if they were using the HGTV method of costing the project saying she couldn't figure out how they can do a project so cheaply when it cost normal people three times that.

I must say I agree with her.  Of course they don't charge for their labor or include it since they are being paid by the advertisers.  They do provide a public service though.

The flipping shows revealed to home buyers that they needed to look below the surface to see what was being covered up.  I loved Holmes on Homes and other Mike Holmes shows where you saw the shoddy work done by flippers and fly-by-night contractors.  

I was always amazed at the people who purchased a home without an inspection because the SELLER didn't want one as part of the purchase contract and were surprised when they discovered major problems.  SURPRISE, why would they care about an inspection unless they are hiding something.  If you aren't going to pay an expert you better be one yourself or not cry when you find out you bought a pig in a poke.  If the seller doesn't want one insist on it or RUN.

Another show I don't quite understand is Fixer Upper.  OK I understand remodeling the house but why is JoJo buying them all new furniture?  Don't these people have furnished homes now?  Where are the photos, Great aunt June's rocker, the bookcase dad built for when you were three?  Someone said it was just staging...but they show the family entertaining with that furniture.  So stupid!  

Drama...what would a remodeling show be without it!  OH, here is a vent in the wall we are removing, it is going to cost $250 to move it...better call the homeowner we didn't see this coming, will they approve it!  OH MY!  Whew, they approved , now everything is done! I guess most viewers expect that.  Remodeling...expect the unexpected, budget 10 to 15% for it.  Maybe if Jo wasn't buying antiques it wouldn't be an issue.  Sorry I want to pick out my own antiques and furniture.

One remodeling show I REALLY like is Rehab Addict, but it isn't really a remodeling show it is a rehab show.  I love how Nicole finds old stuff to put back in the house, including reclaimed old glass in cabinets.  I love that she brings back houses that many would tear down and in neighborhoods that people have given up on.  It makes me want to hurry back to Montana and do the same things to my 110 year old house.  Well as close as I can with the changes made in it about 20 years ago (third bedroom taken out on second floor leaving a two story entry).

Well that's what's on my mind this week.

Miss V    




No comments:

Post a Comment